Framework for consent policies
When interacting with people, it is important to gain their consent when at all possible. This page gives an overview of a framework for considering what level of consent is needed, what to consider when attempting to gain that consent, what responsibilities accompany consent, and the like. It is to be used for the creation of studies, campaigns, and programs.
Description of a minimum viable product, aspirational output, stretch goals, etc.
A document for use in persuading people why the consent framework is worthwhile and necessary. In progress here.
Currently in progress. View and comment here.
Connection to previous RDFs
Add links, any useful information
This conversation was definitely influenced by, and framed on, Feminist and Queer Theory. It was delightful. We ran it through an IRC use case, which likely exists typed up somewhere.
Personas, use cases, context
- eR: Add left hand margin columns and make into pretty PDF
- Write out use cases
- Test against use cases
- Training guides that don’t scare people away from the work
- How to inform data handlers about consent obligations (guidelines? checklist? process suggestions?)
- Community consent guidelines
- How to address consent issues when there is no possibility of interaction with the data subject, i.e. data scraping?
- Do you know of any upcoming projects that we could test drive this on?
- Have we missed any of the major categories of consent?
- Are there any projects that you don’t think this applies to?
- Do you know of any other good consent forms or checklists?
Food for thought
- concepts, problems
- questions to ask frequently
- preventions: what do you actually do in concrete terms to prevent these things from happening
- reactions: responsible responses for when things go wrong
Feel free to link any and all background material, additional info, useful resources, etc. The more the merrier!
Blog post on outputs from the Ethics of Data conference: https://www.theengineroom.org/modeling-consent-policies-for-civil-society-data/